It is that time of year again – parties, wine, cookies, appetizers, chocolate and savoury meals with larger than life portions. Late nights, busy schedules and feeling overwhelmed by the lack of time there is to accomplish what needs to be done.
So what’s a girl to do to stay in balance and not lose her mind, or herself?
Here are a few simple self-care strategies I follow myself and share with my clients as well:
- Get to bed by 10/10:30pm each night. Having a regular bed-time and wake-time will create a huge impact on your sleep/wake cycle. Ideally, you should aim to get 8 hours of quality sleep each night. When you sleep, your body begins to repair itself, which is why sleep is known as the ‘inner physician’. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), your liver goes through a process of repair starting at 11pm to 1am. This is why it’s ideal to go to sleep around 10-10:30pm.
- Create a gratitude moment first thing in the morning. Write down 1-3 things you’re grateful for. If you find this challenging, there are many gratitude journals on the market that can help to get you started. The “Five-Minute Journal” is one of my personal favourites.
- Hydrate upon waking – no, not coffee! Drink water straight away! You can try warm lemon water if you don’t feel like drinking something cold, or you can leave a glass by the bed so that when you wake up you can have room temperature water waiting for you.
- Give your digestive system a light wake up call within 1 hour of waking. This would be a great time to try an elixir. Below is a sneak-peak recipe from my brand new Holiday eBook.
- Take appropriate, good quality supplements. If you’re not sure where to start, visit jennpike.com/freechapter to get the supplements chapter of my best-selling book for FREE. Here, I break down all my supplement recommendations to help keep you and your family feeling supported during this tough season.
- Exercise daily! Simply move your body. Walk, jog, lift, squat, lunge, yoga – whatever you have to do to get your body moving and flowing.
- Re-Group Mid-day – collect yourself, take a deep breath, and enjoy some herbal tea or an elixir as a pick me up, as opposed to coffee or a sweet.
- Say No to things you hate.
- Say Yes to things you love.
- Get Adjusted, book a massage or a tea date with your friend.
- Stay engaged – read books, or listen to an audiobook or a podcast.
- Practice Gratitude before bed.
This year remind yourself of what’s truly important – happiness, joy, family and friends. And don’t forget – you are your most important asset! These daily practices of self-care will help you to keep your cool, and shift yourself from where you are, to where you want to be.
Your thoughts become your reality, so chose your thoughts carefully. Create a life for yourself that is in true alignment with your highest dreams, your greatest wishes and most audacious goals!
There’s no rush, take it one breath, one thought, one seed, at a time.
If you’re looking for more inspiration when it comes to Holiday Recipes and self-care practices, visit www.jennpike.com and check out my brand new eBook, The Simplicity Kitchen, Holiday Edition. I’ve designed a 3-course Holiday Dinner, Simplicity style. This menu is gluten-free, dairy-free and has everything from drinks, apps, main courses and yes, dessert. Also included — my foundational supplements for the whole family during this cold and flu season, to keep your immune systems strong.
In the meantime — try this warm and nourishing elixir tomorrow morning. It’s honestly like a hug-in-a-mug!
About the Author
Host of Simplicity Fusion Flow & Simplicity TV, an International Speaker and regularly contributes her holistic expertise to publications, television and radio shows such as Breakfast Television, Global, CTV, CHCH and Rogers. Jenn sits on the Advisory Board for STRONG Fitness Magazine, iRun, The Social Common and Savvy Mom and is a National Ambassador for […]Read Bio Read Posts